mixed parametric bootstrapping with optimx::nlminb

Home forums Mixed Models mixed parametric bootstrapping with optimx::nlminb

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  henrik 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Peter Vavra
    Participant

I’m having trouble getting a glmm fitted using optimix::nlminb (the default optimizer doesn’t converge) and calculating the p-values using parametric bootstrapping, using the mixed() function. Interestingly, using likelihood ratio tests works just fine with the “same” code.

this one works without any errors:

m6.LRT <- mixed( decision ~ expectation.mean * expectation.var * c.offer + (1 +  c_c.offer  | subject.id) + (0 + c_expectation.mean1 | subject.id),
                       family="binomial",
                       data=data.merged,
                       method="LRT",
                       cl=my.cluster,
                       control=glmerControl(optimizer = "optimx",calc.derivs = FALSE, 
                                            optCtrl = list(method = "nlminb", starttests = FALSE, kkt = FALSE))

and this one (I only changed method="LRT" to method="PB") does not work:

m6.PB <- mixed( decision ~ expectation.mean * expectation.var * c.offer + (1 +  c_c.offer  | subject.id) + (0 + c_expectation.mean1 | subject.id),
                       family="binomial",
                       data=data.merged,
                       method="PB",
                       cl=my.cluster,
                       control=glmerControl(optimizer = "optimx",calc.derivs = FALSE, 
                                            optCtrl = list(method = "nlminb", starttests = FALSE, kkt = FALSE))

Instead, I get the following error message:
    Error in optwrap(object@optinfo$optimizer, ff, x0, lower = lower, control = control$optCtrl, : must specify 'method' explicitly for optimx

Any ideas what I can do to make it work?

henrik
    Keymaster

Does it help to load optimx at the clusters before running the code?
    clusterEvalQ(my.cluster, library(optimx))

If not, please let me know and I will investigate this further.

Peter Vavra
    Participant

It’s not an issue with the multi-core/cluster environment.

I’ve tried the suggested code, and also simply commented out the cl=my.cluster line – still no success.

However, running it on a single core gave a clue which might be helpful for debugging this: In my case, 8 models need to be fit. That step seems to work, as all eight “progress dots” (the [........]) are there and the error message pops up when the function proceeds to calculate the p-values, i.e. just after

Obtaining 7 p-values: 
    [

henrik
    Keymaster

The problem appears to be in the function calculating the parametric bootstrap pbkrtest::PBmodcomp:

require(lme4)
    require(optimx)
    require(pbkrtest)
    ## Linear mixed effects model:
    data(beets, package="pbkrtest")
    sug   <- lmer(sugpct ~ block + sow + harvest + (1|block:harvest), data=beets, REML=FALSE, control =lmerControl(optimizer = "optimx",optCtrl = list(method = "nlminb", starttests = FALSE, kkt = FALSE)))
    sug.h <- update(sug, .~. -harvest)
    PBmodcomp(sug, sug.h, nsim=50)
    # Error in optwrap(object@optinfo$optimizer, ff, x0, lower = lower, control = control$optCtrl,  : 
    #   must specify 'method' explicitly for optimx

I will contact the author and let you know what comes out of it. I can do little at the time.

henrik
    Keymaster

After contacting pbkrtest author Søren Højsgaard he told me that it was actually a bug in lme4::refit. So I looked into it and wrote a bug fix that was just merged into lme4: https://github.com/lme4/lme4/pull/421

So either you wait until the new version of lme4 appears on CRAN (and I have no idea when this might be) or you install the development version: library("devtools"); install_github("lme4/lme4",dependencies=TRUE)
    Note that installing the development version might require other dependencies depending on your OS (e.g., RTools on Windows or XCode on Mac).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.